The Officers and Directors and the general membership extend you an invitation to become a member of our club. We would like to let you know what we have accomplished and what we hope to accomplish in the future, how our club operates, and how you as a new member can help your club continue to grow. We believe you will come to feel, as most of us do, that the Lake Hickory Shag Club will become a second family for you and an important part of your life. If at any time we can answer any question for you, your officers and directors stand ready to serve you. The goal of the Lake Hickory Shag Club is to promote and preserve shagging and the heritage of beach music. We will provide a place and opportunity to learn shagging and organize activities for the membership to enjoy music, dancing and fellowship.
The Lake Hickory Shag Club was organized in March, 1987 by Ann Sigmon and Jim Dingler who were lovers of Shag dancing and who wanted to share this love and experience with others in the Hickory area. For twenty nine years Shaggers and “beginning” Shaggers have gathered at Lake Hickory Shag Club for dancing and fellowship. Over the years people have come and gone and the meeting place and times have varied. Currently, Lake Hickory Shag Club meets at the Hickory VFW located at 1615 12th Street Drive NW, Hickory, North Carolina.
The Lake Hickory Shag Club is incorporated in the State of North Carolina. The Club is a member of the Association of Carolina Shag Clubs, an association of approximately 100 Shag clubs located throughout the southeastern US. Activities of the Club are planned and directed by five Officers and four Directors who are elected annually from the membership. An annual budget which includes expenses for parties, Disc Jockeys, and other overhead costs are funded by member annual dues of $20 per person. Financial reports and minutes of meetings are available to all members.
LAKE HICKORY SHAG CLUB, INC.
Article 1 – Name
The name of the Club shall be the Lake Hickory Shag Club.
Article 2 – Preamble
The Lake Hickory Shag Club is a club established to promote and preserve the “Shag”, to enhance its’ enjoyment and to introduce it to others.
Article 3 – Non-Profit Status
Lake Hickory Shag Club is incorporated as a non-profit organization
Lake Hickory Shag Club shall operate as a non-profit organization and abide by generally accepted accounting rules for a non-profit organization. Lake Hickory Shag Club shall abide by all federal and state requirements in regard to reporting income and expenditures.
Article 4 – Members
All prospective members are accepted as provisional members upon acceptance of their application and annual dues presented in person to a membership committee person or a director. Provisional members have all membership privileges, except voting or seeking office. Unless the Board of Directors by a two-thirds (2/3) vote rejects the provisional member’s application within 45 days of the presentation of the application, the provisional member becomes a member with all privileges. The Club’s Sergeant-at-Arms or any board member may temporarily suspend any members’ privileges and expel the member from the Club activities for the reasons in Article 9, second 1(b) with the temporary suspension to last until the end of the next Board of Directors meeting.
Section 1 – Dues
The Club dues shall be $20.00 per person (effective March 1, 2014) and after September 1st, pro-rated to be $10.00 for the remainder of the membership year.
The membership year of the Club shall be from March 1st – February 28th.
All members whose dues are more than one (1) month in arrears shall be dropped from the Club’s membership.
Section 2 – Member requirement to hold office
In order to hold office, a member must be a member in good standing for
Six (6) months, which means that during the previous year the member has not been expelled or his membership suspended or revoked.
Section 3 – Injury or Loss of Property
Lake Hickory Shag Club disclaims any responsibility for accidents, personal injuries or loss of property during any Club functions.
Section 4 – Voting
Members in good standing may cast their one vote in person at business
Meetings or submit a handwritten, signed and dated absentee ballot on any business meeting vote.
Article 5 – Board or Directors
The business of the Club shall be managed by the Board of Directors. Club business will be conducted within the requirements of the By-Laws. The By-Laws shall be adopted and revised as needed by the general membership.
Special issues pertaining to Club business and not necessarily covered by the By-Laws may be brought to the general membership by the Board of Directors or Club President for a discussion or vote.
The Board of Directors shall consist of nine (9) members, which includes five (5) officers and four (4) directors. Nominations of officers and directors shall be in December and elected at the January annual meeting to take office on March 1st of that year. The term of office shall be one (1) year for each member. The officers may not serve more than two (2) consecutive terms in the same office.
Section 1 – Makeup of Officers and Directors
A – Officers hold five (5) positions on the Board of Directors’ group
1 – President
2 – Vice-President
3 – Secretary
4 – Treasurer
5 – Sergeant-at-Arms
B – Directors hold four (4) positions with equal vote as Officers to form the total Board of Directors
Four (4) members, three (3) elected annually and one (1) to be the
immediate past President. In the absence of an immediate past President, the fourth director to be elected as the other three (3)
Section 2 – Duties of Officers
- To open all meetings at a prescribed time and place
- To conduct all business before the Club and control debate within the rules of order.
- To authenticate, by signature when necessary, all acts, orders, contracts and checks by the Club.
- He/she shall stand for the Club declaring the Club’s will, and in all things obeying the Club’s commands.
- To appoint the Nominating Committee by November for the yearly election of Club Officers and Directors at the regular January meeting.
- He/she shall serve Ex-officio on all committees except for the Nominating Committee
- Has authority to bring special controversial questions to the general membership.
- Shall provide any and all information about Club meetings, actions, decisions and finances to members upon written request by any member.
- Shall assume the duties of the President in his/her absence.
- Shall act as Club Parliamentarian
- Shall act as or have a substitute act as host/hostess at all social events.
- Shall maintain a suggestion box for members’ suggestions and shall read all suggestions to the Board of Directors at its next meeting. Suggestions need not be signed.
- Shall keep minutes at the Club meetings.
- Shall read the minutes of the previous meeting
- Shall conduct all Club correspondence as directed
- Shall maintain a list of all Club Officers, committee members and the general membership.
- Shall call a meeting to order in the absence of the President and Vice-President until a chairperson pro-tem can be nominated. This shall take place immediately.
- Shall keep minutes at the Club Quarterly Meetings.
- Develop an annual budget and revise the budget as necessary.
- Shall receive and bank all monies due to the Club.
- Shall keep bookkeeping records for all funds.
- Shall dispense all money as the Club may direct.
- Shall give monthly financial reports
- Shall have complete financial reports at the annul meetings
7. Shall keep records of all dues paid by members
8. Shall file federal and state reports by IRS rules and regulations
9. Upon member’s request, furnish a copy of current financial report.
- Shall be at or have a substitute at all Club functions and meetings.
- Shall provide security at all Club functions.
- Shall assist President in conducting an orderly general membership meeting.
- Shall have a current membership list available to members at all Club functions.
- May perform actions in Article 9, Section 1(b), at any Club function with the effects temporary until after the next Board meeting.
Section 3 – Duties of Directors
- Shall have equal vote as officers to manage the business of the Club.
- Shall attend Board of Directors’ monthly meetings.
Section 4 – Vacancy on Board
Any vacancy on the Board of Directors shall be filled by the Board of Directors, and the appointee shall hold office until the next election. The person elected to serve this shortened term shall not be disqualified from election for the next year. In the event all nine places on the Board are not filled at any time, the Board shall consist of those elected or appointed and serving though less than nine.
Section 5 – Ex-Officio
The president may request that a past-officer serve in an Ex-Officio (Advisory) capacity.
Article 6 – Committees
Section 1 – Types
The standing committees of the Club may include the following:
Membership – Hospitality – Activities – Communications
Section 2 – Duties
The Club’s policy and/or standing rules define the duties of each committee.
Section 3 – Appointments
The Board of Directors shall appoint the chairs of each committee. The
Board of Directors may from time to time authorize the appointment of other committees.
Article 7 – Meetings
Section 1 – Board of Directors
The Board of Directors shall meet monthly at a designated time to conduct Club business. Two-thirds (2/3) of the Board of Directors then elected or appointed and serving shall constitute a quorum at any meeting for the transaction of business.
Section 2 – Membership
A general membership business meeting shall be held quarterly. A quorum shall be considered to be present when 24 or more members are in attendance.
Article 8 – Club Moneys
Section 1 – Definition
Moneys are defined as any money from any source belonging to the Club. For example, membership dues, donations, committee funds and assets are defined as Club moneys.
Section 2 – Disbursements
Disbursements will be made by Club Treasurer for all proven debts.
The President may allocate funds up to $200.00 for just debts. This provision shall prevent late payments and allow flexibility in accounting procedures.
Section 3 – Association of Carolina Shag Club Meetings
For Association of Carolina Shag Club meetings and or workshops (attendance required by club representative at three (3) per year), the Club will reimburse expenses for up to two (2) representatives per meeting for two (2) nights lodging, two (2) party tickets and gas. Representatives must attend entire Association meeting and submit a report of the meeting to be published in the next newsletter in order to be reimbursed.
Article 9 – Expulsion
Section 1 – Expel or Suspend
The Board of Directors shall have the power by vote of two-thirds (2/3) of all Directors thereof then elected and serving: (a) to remove and officer of the Club for cause; (b) to suspend or expel any member guilty of any violation of the By-Laws or standing rules of the Club, or for conduct unbecoming a lady or a gentleman, or for other good and sufficient cause, or for any offense against the best interest of or good government of the Club.
Section 2 – Notification of Impending Action
Prior to expulsion, any member shall be notified in writing of the impending action of the Board and shall be entitled to a hearing before the Board prior to any vote of expulsion.
Section 3 – Discretion
The extent of the record to be made of such transactions shall be within the sole discretion of the Board of Directors which may, in its discretion limit such records to a mere statement of the expulsion, omitting any reference whatsoever to the reasons for the transaction.
In the event of compulsory expulsion of a member for any reason, the member shall not be entitled to any return on any dues paid to the
Section 4 – Reinstatement
Any member who shall have been suspended or expelled shall forfeit all rights to use of the Club, the right to nominate or vote for directors, or to serve as a director, until reinstated. The Board of Directors would be responsible for reinstatement of the member upon request.
Article 10 – Amendments
These By-Laws may be amended at any quarterly business meeting of the Club by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the members present, provided that the Board of Directors has submitted the amendment(s) by email (upon member’s availability of internet) or in person or by postage mail at least 30 days before the quarterly business meeting. One copy per household will be distributed
Article 11 – Club Dissolution
In the event that Lake Hickory Shag Club should dissolve, all fixed assets will be sold and those proceeds along with all monetary assets will be distributed to one or more charitable organizations as determined by a vote of the membership
Article 12 – Benefits
No part of the Lake Hickory Shag Club’s new earnings will inure to the benefit of any of the Club’s Board of Directors, general membership or any other private individual.
Standing Rules or Policies
- The meeting nights for LHSC shall be one (1) Saturday night per month. A Deejay will preside at all parties from 7:00 – 11:00 pm. The schedule will be available on the Club’s website.
2. The door cover charge will be $5.00 for members and $7.00 for guests.
Special events and nights when food is served, the door cover charge will be
assigned by Board.
3. Shag lessons may be offered for a nominal charge.
4. The door cover for anyone under the age of 21 will be $3.00.
Original Date: March 25, 1987
Updated: March 12, 1989
Updated: March 30, 1990
Amended: September 21, 1990
Updated: May 3rd, 1991
Amended: September 23, 1995
Amended: August, 2000
Amended: April, 2002
Amended: February, 2003
Amended: March, 2014